It’s been a little over 90 days since I resumed blogging. My original blog yielded about 10 posts in 5 months. This will be my 20th post in 3 months on a wide variety of topics ranging from writing effective emails to movies about the Macintosh community. Time to think about what is next for GeekInTheStacks!
I have been studying a lot of other blogs recently, making a list of what I find appealing about them. Also, I have been reading articles on how to create successful blogs that people are interested in.
This has caused me to start thinking about GeekInTheStacks 2.0. I think it’s time for some changes to increase my enjoyment of writing as well as adding value to my reader’s experience.
Some of the areas I am going to start with first include:
- Time to move off of WordPress’s free service. It has been great. However, I am starting to bump up against some it’s limitations. I am still going to use WordPress however when I move the blog.
- Also, time to get my own domain, again. I hope this brings some exposure and will allow flexibility for future growth. It needs to be cost effective and allow me to use WordPress. I think GoDaddy.com will work nicely.
- Time to focus on my actual writing skills, in particular: grammar, context, and writing with a clear, concise point. I took a writing course back in the fall, time to start applying those skills.
- It’s time to consider narrowing the focus on my blog. My current topics are a mix of technology, productivity, leadership, and personal postings. I may consider spinning off my personal postings into a second blog that would attract a different audience then my primary blog.
So what am I hoping to accomplish from all this?
- First and foremost, I want to enjoy writing. I have found writing to be an enjoyable, creative outlet that I want to focus more time on.
- I’d like to leave a mark, in some way. It could be in the form of being asked to write a guest post on one of my favorite blogs, being recognized in the library industry, or to have a loyal group of followers. Don’t know what it is yet, but I want to find it.
- I’m not in this for the money…today. Someday I may want want to augment my income by writing. For now I am happy to write content that I hope is meaningful to others.
So bear with me as I begin to make changes over the next 90 days. Thanks for visiting, and I hope you continue to come back!
Thanks to several resources that been helpful: